The fund provides nonrenewable, small grants to support capacity building in health care organizations and community-based agencies with health care programs, i.e., Massachusetts community health centers, clinics, mobile health units, and community-based organizations. The grants are intended to assist with one-time expenses needed to strengthen an organization’s ability to fulfill its mission. The fund is entirely supported by contributions from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts associates. Examples of activities that could be supported include the following:
1. Hiring a grant writer.
2. Technology enhancements including: website development, purchasing a laptop or personal computer and software.
3. Medical equipment.
4. Hosting community meetings to engage stakeholders and constituents.
5. Engaging in leadership development opportunities for staff or board members
6. Undertaking strategic planning activities.
7. Board development and staff training.
8. Community outreach for health insurance enrollment, health prevention activities or health care education convening.